Pages

August 3, 2011

THE BALTIMORE ORIOLES' GRACIOUS AND GRACEFUL BROOKS ROBINSON




By FRANK BARNING

During my 25 or so years in the baseball card hobby, I had the privilege of meeting hundreds of players, including a substantial number Hall of Famers. This photo of the Baltimore Orioles' Brooks Robinson and me was taken in 1990.

Vivian and I travelled the country while we covered the industry as owners of Baseball Hobby News from 1979-93. She remembers that "We were standing with Brooks once at a baseball card show. A young man came by with an infant and introduced Brooks to his namesake. After he left, Brooks told us, 'That's not the first time a complete stranger has told me of a child named after me. It always amazes me.'"

Many players were wonderful guests at card shows, and she and I agree that B. Robby and Duke Snider were the most gracious. So who were the least gracious? That's a story for another day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Darrell Berger wrote:

I remember Ned Garver being a signer at a show in Toledo around 1985. He was the nicest ex-player I ever met at a signer. And he was sooooo careful about getting his rather elaborate autograph just right. It is framed and on my wall next to me as I am writing this.